Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Trailblazers workshop

In today's session, what I found interesting is the fact that New Zealand has the most relaxed laws in regards to testing new flying technology. Such as flying cars and it will Omgi-Tech that will be hosting this awesome event. We played a game that exercised our moral judgement in relation to auto-pilot vehicles and realized that a lot more safer then an actual human-being driving a car because they are programmed to pick up things a lot faster "wowee".  On a serious note, it has been said that it will decrease the amount of deaths, accidents and assist with family chores. I see the advantages of this but couldn't help thinking that it is just pure laziness and what sort of impact is this could have our future tamariki. Probably way off topic but that's what I found interesting.

Creating 3-D Shapes


Creating 3-D shapes definitely sparked an interest so much so I've asked CNC kits if it's possible of creating 3-D shapes of skeletons and muscles. Something the kids, could be more hands on with and visually see what parts (muscles/bones/joints) go where. These were the sites that were suggested to me: thingyverse.com or 3-Dprint.com to find skeleton or muscle templates that are of course copyright friendly. Sadly, I realize that it can be quite costly and something the school could probably do well without but it is an awesome hands-on resource that kids at Tamaki College could definitely benefit from. Anyway, back to our DFI session below is what I created today :)





4 comments:

  1. Tēnā koe Kalesha, I found the moral questions really tricky, who to let live and who was to be hit. I understand it is worst case senerio but still I never want to hold that sort of power in my hands. The creating segment of the day was fun and interesting and maybe for Priamry School the way to go is the 3D pens great for learning about shapes and the number of edges etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the moral questions difficult as well, and quite happy for a machine to make decisions about who dies and who lives. As long as I'm not held accountable for someone else's death. If auto-driven cars are that smart, there should be no crashes happening at all, unless pedestrians J-walk unexpectedly. I was against auto driven cars but now I welcome it, drive me home after hard day at work or training while I catch up on sleep, make phone calls or catch up on notes/lessons for students. As for the 3-D pens yea your right totally fits in more with primary schools.

      Delete
  2. I like the was you have been thinking outside the box about ways to engage your learners. I believe there is equipment over in DVC that could achieve some of the things you were talking about and I know Mr Dunn is always open to purchasing kit that supports the goals you have here. Creating your own skeletons and muscles would teach kids (and reinforce your teaching) way more than writing about it in a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs Burt, yes Mr Dunn is open to ideas that enhance the learning of Tamaki College Students. Second week of term 3, Thursday's teachers only-day was dedicated to the technology block showing us what they can do and our end looking at how their trade can be used in our subject.

      Delete